It isn't a secret that keeping that "special spark" alive after baby isn't easy... It can definitely be hard to find the time and energy to do anything other than pass out after your little ones go to sleep. I realize that everyone has a different idea of what date night looks like, but can we all agree that even just 5 minutes of quality time together constitutes as a step in the right direction?
This past weekend, Augusto and I went on a "real" date. We went to a very nice restaurant and dined on steak and wine. So trendy, right? Not really. Behind the scenes our reservations were at 6:30pm and we talked about our kids the entire time. Haha. We were back at home and in bed by 9:30pm... (way past our bed time). The next day we had a lazy Sunday watching Netflix, eating popcorn and hanging out. We realized that we were enjoying ourselves so much more than at dinner the night before.
Don't get me wrong, dinner was lovely... BUT I guess we realized that it isn't all about what we are doing, rather more so about the quality of time we were spending together. Even if it just 5 minutes alone after the kids go to sleep. This blog post was requested but one of you lovely readers and I am so excited to share it with you!
Behold!! 5 Easy Home Date Night Ideas.
1. Start a show together. - Pick a show that both of you will like and plan to watch it once a week. It can be on Netflix, Television, DVD... whatever. Once a week, after the kids go to bed, commit to watching one episode together. Once a week!
2. Dance - This can literally be a 1 minute slow dance in your pajamas. Augusto and I love to dance. Sometimes right before bed, we just do a quick slow dance to no music. Sometimes it lasts a few seconds and sometimes longer, but it is just one of those things that reminds you that intimacy doesn't always need to be sex.
3. Game Night. - So, Augusto and I like video games, but if that isn't your style than a good old board game or card game will do.
4. Dessert Time. - After the kids are asleep, enjoy your favorite dessert together. In our house it's coffee ice cream, but sometimes if we have the energy, we will make cookies or cupcakes! It's a good time to catch up on your day over something yummy.
5. Take it outside. - This is one of my favorites... BUT living in Houston means its 100% dependent on the weather. When its a nice night, we might sit outside on our patio with a glass of wine and just talk. Maybe even sit by the fire if the weather lends itself to that. Being outside with some fresh air and your love is so relaxing.
Just remember, that its not WHAT your doing, its the quality of the time your sending together. Spending any alone time with your significant other is important. My biggest advice would be to not just look at bedtime as the time that you roll over and go to sleep. Augusto and I never go to sleep without laughing a little bit. So make sure to cuddle a little, talk a little, laugh a little and just enjoy one another.